Saturday, August 11, 2012

Two-for-one

Lately I've been thinking about the moments in my life when I have felt most loved. And the one I keep coming back to is from childhood. It was early on a Saturday morning, and I woke up and went to find my mom, who was up already. And as I was coming down the hall and before she saw me, she said, "Hi, Ali." And I said, "How did you know it was me?" And she said, "I know the sound of your walk."
 
When I think about this now, it reminds me of a smaller version of the way the psalmist says God loves us:

You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thoughts from afar.
You search out my path and my lying down
and are acquainted with all my ways.
Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.
You hem me in, behind and before,
and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is high; I cannot attain it.

Where shall I go from your Spirit?
Or where shall I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
If I take the wings of the morning
and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me,
and your right hand shall hold me.

Several of my best memories from childhood are of waking up and going to find my mom. Especially after naps, I remember feeling disoriented or really thirsty or inexplicably sad, and, still half asleep, I would go find her and she would know what I needed. Sometimes I would get ice cream as a fortifying snack. That usually did the trick.

2 comments:

b said...

Just lovely.

Meet me in St Louie said...

I love that, sis. made me cry :)