Saturday, July 30, 2011

And he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow

I've hit the point where questions regarding the merit of the endeavor slink into my mind. Yesterday I drafted my syllabus for English 101: Reading and Writing about the Blues, and in the process, I came across a Langston Hughes poem called "PhD." It ends with these lines:

Always, he kept his eyes upon his books:
And now he has grown to be a man
He is surprised that everywhere he looks
Life rolls in waves he cannot understand,
And all the human world is vast and strange–
And quite beyond his Ph.D.’s small range.

I don't even have one yet, but I already feel its small range.

So then what?

Yesterday I got an email from my friend Jonathan, who told me to be strong and courageous. He said that I should be confident that I can feel God in my work. This kind of reorientation reminds me of "The Weight of Glory." Here I will post the pieces that comfort me this morning:

The books or the music in which we thought the beauty was located will betray us if we trust to them; it was not in them, it only came through them, and what came through them was longing. These things—the beauty, the memory of our own past—are good images of what we really desire; but if they are mistaken for the thing itself they turn into dumb idols, breaking the hearts of their worshippers. For they are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never yet visited [...]

What more, you may ask, do we want? Ah, but we want so much more—something the books on aesthetics take little notice of. But the poets and the mythologies know all about it. We do not want merely to see beauty, though, God knows, even that is bounty enough. We want something else which can hardly be put into words—to be united with the beauty we see, to pass into it, to receive it into ourselves, to bathe in it, to become part of it. [...] That is why the poets tell us such lovely falsehoods. They talk as if the west wind could really sweep into a human soul; but it can’t. They tell us that “beauty born of murmuring sound” will pass into a human face; but it won’t. Or not yet. For if we take the imagery of Scripture seriously, if we believe that God will one day give us the Morning Star and cause us to put on the splendour of the sun, then we may surmise that both the ancient myths and the modern poetry, so false as history, may be very near the truth as prophecy. At present we are on the outside of the world, the wrong side of the door. We discern the freshness and purity of morning, but they do not make us fresh and pure. We cannot mingle with the splendours we see. But all the leaves of the New Testament are rustling with the rumour that it will not always be so. Some day, God willing, we shall get in.

2 comments:

caron said...

We cannot mingle with the splendours we see.

yes! i needed to read this!!

ali said...

Wish you were around so that we could read it together and talk about it. It's a goodie.