Thursday, July 21, 2011

Now where was I?

I just finished a big writing push, and I have emerged, as I often do, with strong and mixed emotions. On the one hand: SO grateful for a break and anxious to do things and see friends and take care of all I have neglected. On the other: tired, and sad, and feeling like I gave away something I didn't have. It's a very isolating experience. At first, no rest feels deep enough, and at the same time, no celebration feels like it can compensate for what the process has required.

But in the midst of this, it's a mercy to have friends who keep track of me, writing in remembrance of my deadlines, texting to wish me luck with French tests. I have friends who call me when they hear a train that they think I should hear too. And when they come across news of the birth of baby owls. Such friends, such friends.

1 comment:

b said...

You've captured the experience so well here! Here's a virtual toast to another writing push well-completed! Cheers!