Today I went to the zoo with a friend, and while I was there, I saw these koalas, sleeping on tree branches. They were so still, with their heads tucked down into their chests. And all around them was the usual flow of zoo traffic and of people taking pictures and of kids trying to get their attention. I was completely struck by their peacefulness. Jealous of it, really.
A few weeks ago we had a sermon about the Sermon on the Mount, and the pastor spent a bunch of time talking about the birds of the air and about their blessed freedom from anxiety. Not reaping, not gathering into barns, and not worried about it. That sounded so nice. This idea that part of God's blessing for us is freedom from worry. That as his child, of more worth than many sparrows, that resource of rest is mine. And the truth is that I do not take advantage of it. Sparrows should not harvest or gather into barns. I should not be anxious.
It makes me think of the psalmist saying "for he gives to his beloved sleep." Sleep like the sleep of koalas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment